Monday 18 August 2014

My Body is My Best Friend

There is no greater friend on Earth than a healthy body for your soul to reside in. God has created you perfectly. As an infant you were not aware of any "imperfections". As you grew older and imbibed the opinions of others around you, your list of imperfections grew. A nose that is too long, or eyes the wrong colour, hair that was too curly or excessive weight. The list of so called "imperfections" can go on and on... if you let it. Or you can choose to embrace your healthy human body and thank it for allowing you to do so many chores.

Fable

I am reminded of a story that my grandfather would tell us when we were young children. There lived in a huge forest a majestic stag with the most beautiful set of antlers. The stag was so enamored of his reflection in the lake that he would stare at himself for hours. He would think to himself, "My antlers are so beautiful but my legs are so thin and scrawny that they are ugly indeed." His habit of preening by the lake was noted by a hunter who decided to kill him for his beautiful antlers. One day when the stag was by the lake the hunter took a shot, but missed. The startled stag ran for his life as hard as his scrawny but fast legs could carry him. he outran the hunter to safety and thought to himself, "What I thought was my best feature nearly got me killed and what I felt was my most ugly feature saved my life!"
 
So it is in real life with us. I'd be happier if my hair was longer, waist was thinner, hips were not so broad...what's your wish? It is an extremely human reaction to see an attractive person and feel resentful that you do not command the same attention they do in a room full of people. The more you stress over the alleged imperfections of your body the less you are helping yourself. The desire to look better stems from forgetting a crucial fact - You are already perfect.

Celebrate Yourself

You may not think so today when you look in the mirror and can point out half a dozen flaws. However if you look longer you will see the person beyond the superficial flaws. The person who has an inner beauty that you have never celebrated. Giving in to the illusion that you are your present body is severely limiting your spiritual growth. Remember that you are an eternal soul in a temporary body. While your host is an important part of your life today, your eternal journey in no way depends only on this body.

Celebrate your body the way it is and Heal Your Life. Treat it to little acts of kindness that nurture it. A head massage, a foot soak, an hour of meditation, health food and adequate sleep. As you accept your beautiful body and treat it with love and respect it will respond to this positive treatment. Your body will become more attractive each day that you treat it lovingly. Affirm to yourself , "I love my body. It is a good friend that I take care of." Watch your body return that love by supporting you in all your needs.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home